Friday, September 01, 2006

Shuffle Off To Buffalo

We went to the Detroit Zoo this last Tuesday. I like the zoo and we've been members for the last 5 years. I like the Philadelphia zoo a lot better but I think it might be just a homeland thing.

O.K. So I have a question for anyone. We saw some Bison. Aren't they cute? That's not the question. I talked to my children for 5 minutes straight about the Bison. Where they live, what they eat, hunting them, using them for meat and then all about their lovely undercoat that makes the softest, most beautiful yarn. I talked about how they get the fur from the slaughterhouses that supply Buffalo meat to specialty restaurants. I talked about how it would be difficult to pluck a live Bison. I talked about the softness of the undercoat when you pick out all of the guard hairs. The kids were fascinated.



So here's the question. Is it wierd that I talked on and on about the Bison and spinning and knitting with his fur and then said:


"Look at the tiger."




Wierd?









And, "look at the Lion."















"Look how far the Giraffe can stretch."



Maybe I should study up on some animals who don't give me fiber for my obsessions.











Here are the monkeys all in a row. They were the cutest things in the whole zoo.



Brittney left today. Back to BYU. She packed last night and I was fine. She put her stuff in the car this morning and I was fine. She hugged me goodbye and I was fine. They drove away and I cried like a baby. I won't see my oldest baby until Christmas. She thinks I don't worry about her. Well, she's wrong.

I also need to mention here that both my sisters are copy cats and I am a leader. My other sister, Sherri, in Vermont, now has her own blog about her cafe. I don't know how she'll keep it up, with cooking for the cafe and four kids and a husband and all, but ... she's a good follower.

No comments: