Thursday, June 18, 2009

Seriously

Last Wednesday I set off for TNNA which is the big trade show for owners of needlework and yarn shops. Now I am the first to say that I do not own a yarn shop but there were several things to be accomplished.

First- I was teaching two classes. One was a class on how to teach beginning spinning. this calss was targeting yarn shops who are adding spinning. there is plenty of teaching going on and I wanted to spread my calm and laid back way of teaching to leave students feeling happy and comfortable.

Second - I wanted to see if there were any companies adding spinning fibers or weaving yarns to their lines.

Third - The SWA (Spinning and Weaving Association) meeting was on Sunday morning.

Well, I did all that and more! Amy King came to stay with me for two nights. Though we've been talking on the phone plenty we've never actually met in person. Well, all I can say is, she's more in person. Fabulousness and naughtiness and fun. We had a great time - o.k. I'll let her tell whether she had a good time but I had a great time.

My classes were successful I think. Nobody cried, nobody swore at me, nobody told me outright they didn't like it. So I'm going to take that as a positive.
I got to use the new Schacht Niddy Noddy while I was in Ohio and I love it. It comes in Maple and Cherry. It telescopes to be either 1.5 or 2 yardake it shorter and your skein comes. It lays flat or comes completely apart. Wonderful. Plus since it telescopes then when your skein is wound you undo the screw and make it smaller and your skein comes off like magic. No pulling on the tight skein to try to get it off. Love the thing.

I was in Ohio all the way until Monday evening. I had to stay to bring home wheels and bits from the Schacht booth. One thing I brought home that I hadn't had in the shop before is the winding station and I really like it. a place for your bobbin winder, a place for your ball winder and a place to put your yarn cones so they don't flip all over the floor while winding.

The other thing is a bench for the Schacht looms. I did a tiny bit of weaving to try it out and I like it a lot better than the chair I've been using.

When I got back into the shop on Tuesday I was happy to see lots of new goodies for me (and for you) Three colors of dyed Shetland pin drafted roving from Judith McKenzie McCuin's flock. It is soft and lovely.

My Cherry Matchless was there as well as some loom reeds and the new Niddies I had ordered. I love the new Matchless and have big plans for spinning miles on it.

Houndesign finally came. Spindles, Niddies, support spindles and Navajo spindles. All so beautiful. All of them are on the webstore if you haven't seen them yet and you can't make it in. Should I keep one?
And!!!!!!!! More Yarn Hollow with a new fiber. A blernd of Angora/Merino/Silk. I love it but I saved a Wensleydale braid for myself. The fiber in the above photo is Alpace/Merino/Silk. OOOOOOOooooooo.

Saturday is the big Summer Solstice Celebration with sales and spinning and touching and fiber love. If you don't get the newsletter, here are the details:

This is just a really quick reminder of the Summer Solstice Celebration happening this coming Saturday at the Spinning Loft.

Spin on the porch. Sip some lemonade. Have a snack Relax and have fun.

Take a look at our
new Custom Bat Bar. Choose from a wide range of fibers we'll weight them out and I'll make a carded batt or two for you while you wait. Price for this service is $6 per ounce.

Summer Specials will be all around. Discounts on certain floor models such as a 15 inch
Flip Rigid Heddle loom with stand, stick shuttles, warping peg, heddle hook, instructions and 2 half pound cones of Louet Gems Merino in the colors of your choice. Regular price for this package would be $453 but take the whole package home on Saturday for just $339.

All Offhand Designs Spindle Bags on sale for 30% off the marked price.

There will be
specials on several fibers. Check them out in the shop.

All VHS technique videos will be marked at $1. If you've got a VCR take advantage of this deal. These videos regularly sell for $39.95

Take your time, bring your current project and join us for a lovely day beginning the lazy days of summer.

Saturday June 20th 10AM to 7PM
No charge for this fun day


What I forgot to say was there are a couple of C. Cactus Flower looms which are great for beading or Miniature Navajo weaving on sale for 20% off.
Also, a Fancy Kitty Cherry Wool picker which is regularly $650 marked down to $495.

Come on in and see what's special and just hang out with a fun group. I've got plenty of chairs and the porch is very inviting.

So off I go now to get ready for Saturday. I hope I'll see lots of you and if you can't make it i hope you'll plan on making a road trip soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Honey, I hope you understand I am coming to the store soon for my 4th of July present and you are not to sell any spindles, especially supported, before I came and made my choice. Or else.