Monday, January 01, 2007

The End and the Beginning

A lot happened last night and today. Well, kind of. It was mostly relaxing but I have a lot of pictures to show and so here we go.[you can put text in here that will show up if/when the image is unavailable or someone is browsing on a slow connection and has chosen not to see images. Or leave it blank.] There was a rousing game of Checkers between Maggie and Dana. Maggie is pretty good at it and gave Dana a run for her money. I can't remember who actually won. Maggie won against her dad tonight.
[you can put text in here that will show up if/when the image is unavailable or someone is browsing on a slow connection and has chosen not to see images. Or leave it blank.] We ate these huge shrimp - or prawns. Whatever. They were delicious. Grilled by Jerome. Husband of Dana.

[you can put text in here that will show up if/when the image is unavailable or someone is browsing on a slow connection and has chosen not to see images. Or leave it blank.] Also this great pasta with plenty of garlic and cheese and shrimp and olive oil. Also a Jerome creation.
[you can put text in here that will show up if/when the image is unavailable or someone is browsing on a slow connection and has chosen not to see images. Or leave it blank.] Then there was the washing up. Or scrubba dubbing as Ryan calls it.

[you can put text in here that will show up if/when the image is unavailable or someone is browsing on a slow connection and has chosen not to see images. Or leave it blank.] The midnight pizza. Jerome again. Home made crust, feta cheese? or something else delicious. Also included were tomatoes, fresh basil and shrimp.
[you can put text in here that will show up if/when the image is unavailable or someone is browsing on a slow connection and has chosen not to see images. Or leave it blank.] Midnight Hot Chocolate with whipped cream and chocolate sauce. This is the new hot chocolate I got from Kelle for Christmas but I can't remember what kind it was since we used it all up. I need to ask her because I have to get some more. I don't usually share my hot chocolate very easily but it was new year's eve.

[you can put text in here that will show up if/when the image is unavailable or someone is browsing on a slow connection and has chosen not to see images. Or leave it blank.] See, I even let Maggie have some. She did stay up until midnight because Dana had some poppers and Maggie was very curious about them.
[you can put text in here that will show up if/when the image is unavailable or someone is browsing on a slow connection and has chosen not to see images. Or leave it blank.] And here is the proof that I accomplished my goal. This is my car clock on the way home.

I got to sleep until 9AM. Then my accountant called. Trying to finish up the last stuff of 2006. He gave me some assignments which I was dreading but it only took me about an hour. So then I tried out some crock pot dyeing.

[you can put text in here that will show up if/when the image is unavailable or someone is browsing on a slow connection and has chosen not to see images. Or leave it blank.] I used superwash merino. First it soaked in water and vinegar for about a half hour. Then, after I squeezed out all the excess water, I started to layer it in the pot. I took Easter egg dye tablets and crushed them and sprinkled the powder over portions of the wool.

[you can put text in here that will show up if/when the image is unavailable or someone is browsing on a slow connection and has chosen not to see images. Or leave it blank.] After all of the layers were sprinkled I filled the pot with more water and vinegar. For 4 ounces of wool I used 7 dye tablets. I turned the pot on low and let it work for 3 hours. The internet instructions I had said to let the pot sit for 3 hours until it was at room temperature. I was too impatient for that so I submerged the crock pot liner in cold water and let it sit for about 20 minute. After that the sink water was still a little cold so I dumped the contents of the crack pot right into it.

[you can put text in here that will show up if/when the image is unavailable or someone is browsing on a slow connection and has chosen not to see images. Or leave it blank.] I drained the water and did a little squeezing and then hung the wool on a hanger to dry. I'm not sure I love it but it was my first attempt. After it's dry I'll spin it and see if I like it any better.

Today i sat down and made a few lists for goals for the coming year. I'll be saving that for tomorrow or Wednesday. It could get a little long and I'm very tired. After all, I did stay up about 5 hours past my bedtime last night.

3 comments:

hesira said...

Happy New Year! The food looks great. I can't wait to see how that dyed wool looks when it's all spun.

Lisa said...

The wool is gorgeous! I can't believe my dh threw away my saved easter egg dyes :(

Kate A. said...

I was just wondering if you could dye yarn with easter egg dye! I, too, can't wait to see how it looks all spun up...