Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Many Photos







 I really wanted to tell you all what's going on around here before I run off to SOAR at the end of the week. Don't let that stop you from coming in though.  Carol will be in the shop and she is much nicer than me.

 School is progressing.  Maggie has been working so hard this year and even choosing to do some of the optional projects in her curriculum. She did a study of bird beaks and how to tell what kind of food they eat by the shape of their beak. And there was a project she could choose which was to make a bird feeder.  I thought she'd want to do something out of wood but one morning I came down to her cutting up 2 liter bottles. She came up with this design all on her own. The cap on the upper one is holding all of the strings in place and also serves to keep the squirrels out of the feeder.  I thought it was pretty clever.

Two weeks ago we got in 3 wheels from the Bluebonnet Spinning Wheel Company located in Texas.  I wanted to carry these wheels because they are very pretty and also they have a wide range of prices to suit any budget.
 This first one is their most basic model called the Honey Bee.  The treadles fold up and it gets pretty flat.
 It's very sturdy and solid. Sells for $299.95.  This is a great place to begin if you don;t have a bunch of money to invest but want a wood wheel.  It's solid Oak or Maple.  I wouldn't say this is a great travel option due to its weight but I would say it will go easily to guild meetings and classes that you will be driving to.
 It's Scotch Tension and comes with ratio sizes with more available when you want them.
 As you can see, it's pretty basic but it feels good to spin on.
 Next up is the Shamrock wheel. See that cute little shamrock on top?  It's just for pretty and it does its job.
 This is another very affordable wheel with lovely wood.  It's a great option if you have a limited budget but want something that looks beautiful.


 
 And then the one I was dying to play with.  This is the Thimble Wheel and more specifically the Fairy Thimble.  There are many models of Thimble wheels but I loved the cut outs on this one.
 This wheel does fold.
 I think it's a tiny bit vibraty when spinning but I'm also pretty picky.
 Another interesting thing about these wheels is that the bobbins have bearings in them.  the spinning is smooth.
 Next on my list of things to talk about is the class that just happened this weekend.  Amy King of Spunky Eclectic and Spin Control Fame was here all weekend.  Friday night we learned Nuno Felting. I was prepeared to be annoyed by it but I actually liked doing it.  i made an orange scarf. Also, forgot to take photos.  I was very busy.
 Saturday was a class about how to analyze those mill spun yarns you've been wanting to make.  We learned a huge amount about yarn construction, twist and how to reproduce it.
Sunday was weaving with handspun.  We learned a lot about how to know if the yarns you have are appropriate for warps and how to make yarns - even singles - work in your weaving projects.  We also learned about how different kinds of looms will make a difference in what yarns you can use.

Then Amy went back to Spunky land to prepare for SOAR... which brings me to my next topic.
I'm getting ready to go to SOAR too.  This box had all of the little business card size labels I had printed. Each student in my 3 day class will get 3 cards for each breed.
Those three cards went into a page protector with a sheet of cardstock.  The cardstock is color coded by the wool category. So each student will have 17 sheets, one for each breed, 5 colors for the 5 categories we will cover. 
All of it is already on its way to New Hampshire.  I shipped the wool and handouts yesterday.
My plans for this afternoon include packing my clothes and seeing what I need to wash.  My hand tools and wool for day one are already in another suitcase that I will carry with me and my samples will be in my carry on.
I'm almost ready to go...I just need some snacks!



1 comment:

Business Card Dimensions said...

Good post. I study something more challenging on totally different blogs everyday. All the time be stimulating to read standard business card dimensions content material from other writers and follow slightly one thing from their store.