Friday, February 08, 2008

Cake

So Tuesday was our first birthday party of the month - meaning me and Maggie. We're having birthday parties every Tuesday night. So there will be cake and other snacks every Tuesday as well as hourly drawings.
We had pizza on tuesday and also cupcakes because they go with cake - right? There's also a contest this month. I give the contestants 1 ounce of wool and they try to spin it into the longest single thread that they can. So I handed out some wool on Tuesday and will hand out more this week if more people want to play. The prize is a spinning loft bag stuffed with more wool:-) Cause I have some wool at the shop. I guess I can't play, but I want to.
The swatching for the Faina design exersize has commenced. The above sample is Karabella Breeze swatched on size 4 and 5 needles. You can tell by the purl bumps.
This is Louet Gems Opal swatched on size 4,3,2,1,and 0 needles.
This is the Breeze after washing and blocking. It stretched wider and not longer. I think this yarn might be good for that free one Berroco has right now - Montparnasse - I don't know. But I do know it won't work for a sweater where I want the lace patterns to stay open. I also want this to be a sweater with some lovely waist shaping so as to draw attention away from my very wide buttocks. Again, this is probably not that yarn as the stretching happened side to side. Hmmmm.
This is the Louet Gems. I like the fabric best on the size 0 and 1 needles. After washing and light blocking it shrunk a little width wise but the row counts all stayed the same. I think the fabric on the size 1 needles would be great for a sweater and the size 0 fabric would be fantastic for socks.
This is a closeup of the fabric knitted on size 0 needles after washing. Pretty.
Now I need a swatch with a couple of lace patterns cause I know that will be the next question.

3 comments:

Alpaca Granny said...

OMG, Beth, how can you do all that swatching? Can't wait till next Friday to see you....
Maple

Anonymous said...

now I want cake.

or may be cupcakes.


with wool. no silk. no cashmere


no. all of it.

Obsidian Kitten said...

lovely swatches

the cake was scruptuous

as were the cupcakes

mmmmmmmmm